WinRAR is a powerful and award- winning archive manager that can backup your data, decompress most archive formats or compress to RAR or ZIP and reduce the size of email attachments.
WinRAR brings simple and easy to use interface. At first blush, WinRAR’s layout seems virtually unchanged, but in fact some changes are slightly visible. The default WinRAR look can be modified lay a set of themes you can download from WinRAR home page. The most common functions are reflected in a form of colourful icons distributed along the top. The application comes with Wizard interface designed for less experienced users allowing easy handling of basic operation with dialogs containing brief instructions about compression and decompression procedures. Directly from the interface you can add files to Extract, Test archives from damage, Delete or Repair.
Once the program is running it provides all the features you would expect: ability to create and change SFX archives and solid archives for higher compression ratios, add details such as name, date and time.
There are two basic states for WinRAR shell: file management mode or archive management mode. The former displays a list of archived files and folders from currently working folder, so you can select them and perform different file operations like testing, extracting, archiving or deleting. Whereas the latter provides a list of archived files from the currently open archive and again you can select specific files to perform different operations. Basically, WinRAR archive format is better optimized when the operation involves huge number of files and gigabytes of disk.
All in all, due to all this features WinRAR stays at the forefront of professional archive utility market for its ease of use, flexibility, advanced compression and decompression capabilities.
Main features of WinRAR:
• original compression algorithm allowing compression of executable files, object libraries and huge test files
• offers special compression algorithm optimized for multimedia
• supports RAR and ZIP 2.0, and can also unzip CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, Z and 7Z archives
• supports safe NTFS file security
• Shell interface including drug- and- drop facility, wizard and operation in command line mode
• compression ratio up by 10 to 50% higher than popular methods, especially while compressing huge numbers of small files
• ability to create and change SFX archives
• allows creating multi-volume SFX archives
• consists of many additional features like: ability to protect your archives with password, add comments to archives, physically damaged archives can be repaired and blocked what prevents from further changes
• The number of files which are supposed to be added to archive depends on the amount of available memory and the length of file.
• Both the size of a RAR archive and the size of any other file cannot max out 8,589,934,591 GB (9,223,372,036,854,775,807 bytes). It is very important to remember that to create archives bigger than 4GB , you must work with NTFS because older file systems do not support large files.
• The size of ZIP archive and any other file in such archive is limited to 2GB. RAR format is much more optimized when it comes to operations on huge number of files
• 40– day trial