If you want to watch something from Netflix with your friends who don’t currently have a Netflix subscription. This article will show you how to stream Netflix over Discord so you can all watch Netflix at the same time. It’s a great way to watch content together if lockdowns of distance are keeping everyone apart.
Although a lot of people consider Discord to be a strictly gaming service, it’s so much more than a place for nerds to hang out and chat while they grind out loot and get owned by no-lifers. Discord has become one of the most popular tools for communities to keep in touch and for developers to discuss changes to projects and offer live or near-live troubleshooting.
If you’re new to Discord or a veteran, there are a few features of the platform that you may not be aware of. One of the most commonly overlooked feature is Discord’s streaming (screen share) option. You might also know it as Discord Go Live as well. Most Discord users have probably used Discord to stream or live share their games, however, it’s also possible to stream your Internet browser, which means, you can stream Netflix over Discord.
That said, it’s not as simple as firing up Discord and clicking the screen share icon. Streaming certain programs and apps that aren’t games usually requires a little more work and streaming Netflix over Discord is one of those instances, so follow along as we take you through the entire process.
How do you Stream Netflix over Discord? Stream Netflix to your Discord Channel.
To begin streaming Netflix over Discord, you’ll need to first configure Discord to work with other programs that aren’t games. Before you start the steps shown below, make sure the program, app or browser you want to add is running.
- To do this open Discord and sign in to your account. When you have Discord open click the Settings icon to the right of your Username at the bottom of the screen.
- This will take you to a new screen where you will need to click Activity Status near the bottom of the left-hand panel.
- In the new window click the Add it! option and select your browser or the Netflix app from the list. This will allow you to stream Netflix over Discord to your chosen channel.
- Now all you have to do to stream Netflix content over Discord is open the Netflix app or the browser you are playing Netflix from.
- Make sure Discord is open and that you are in the server you want to stream to.
- Finally, make sure you are in a Voice channel, then click the Screen icon in the bottom left-hand corner and choose your browser or the Netflix app. If you choose the browser option and only get a black screen with audio, no video. Check out the steps shown below. They will show you how to fix the problem.
How to Stream Netflix over Discord from an Internet browser, not the Netflix app? Fix Black Screen when streaming Netflix over Discord.
If you are planning on streaming Netflix from an Internet browser rather than the Netflix app, you’ll need to "Turn Off" Hardware Acceleration in your browser. If you don’t disable it, Discord will only stream a black screen to your channel. You'll need to do this for all browsers: Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Brave, Opera, etc.
How do you disable Hardware Acceleration in Google Chrome?
To disable Hardware Acceleration in Google Chrome, open Chrome, then go to Settings > Advanced settings. Then untick the Use hardware acceleration when available near the bottom of the page.
How do you disable Hardware Acceleration in Microsoft Edge?
To disable Hardware Acceleration in Edge, open Edge go to Settings > System and performance then flip the Use hardware acceleration when available toggle to Off (grey)
How do you disable Hardware Acceleration in Firefox?
To disable Hardware Acceleration in Firefox, open Firefox and go to Options > General, then untick the Use recommended performance setting and untick Use hardware acceleration when available option when it appears below.