Finally, after months of speculation, Sony has officially announced a date for the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (also known as the PlayStation Phone). Sony will hold an event on the 13th of February at this year’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona at 6pm GMT to show it off to the world.
Engadget has managed to grab hold of an Xperia Play before the announcement and note it has features such as
* Android Gingerbread as the OS
* 4 inch Multitouch LCD Display with a resolution of 854x480
* 5 megapixel camera with LED flash for HD video recording.
* Single core CPU & GPU
* 512mb of RAM
* Micro SD, SIM and micro USB slots
* Built in WIFI, Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR, FM receiver + transmitter
The announcement of the Xperia Play comes only a few short weeks after the announcement of the PlayStation Portable 2, though comes with much higher hardware specs such as a quad core CPU & GPU. Sony had also announced at the same keynote that the PlayStation Store will be coming to most android devices at the end of the year -- dubbed "PlayStation Suite" -- and will allow developers to port their current games to the PlayStation Store for Android users to download.