WinZip is a file compression utility for Windows that allows you to unzip any compressed file type, zip files into smaller sizes to send swifter emails and password-protect information with banking-level AES encryption and archive different files into one big file. Although its main goal is to create ZIP archives and to extract data from ZIP, ZIPX, LHA, 7Z, RAR, ISO it offers a wide range of other useful tools such as backup services, file-sharing abilities and you can also add custom watermarks to images and PDFs to protect intellectual property against unauthorized copying.
It integrates with social networking websites such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter as well as connects you directly to your cloud services (Dropbox, Google Drive and SkyDrive) what allows users to share ZIP files through the supported social networking services or send them to cloud storage.
WinZip’s installation process requires little input from the person installing it to configure certain options.
The ribbon-based interface is simple and user –friendly, with easier language what makes it faster for everyone to perform all actions without any confusion. There are two modes currently available, the Wizard mode that targets beginners and the Classic mode slightly richer in options including compression ratios, password-protection and a Favorites list for more advanced users.
WinZip provides embedded file converter and image-resizing presets, which can be extremely useful in terms of sending large volumes of high-resolution photos over e-mail with no loss of quality or data integrity. You can also convert documents to PDF’s and create executables.
There are some flaws about Winzip namely, it only handles Zip compression and isn’t compatible with as many formats as its competitor WinRAR.
Nevertheless, WinZip is powerful enough to perform its functions at impressive speed, provides a user-friendly environment and incorporates a bunch of other useful tools.
Main characteristics of WinZip:
- ability to accomplish Zip-related jobs directly from Windows Explorer
- ability to protect sensitive data with AES encryption (128 and 256 - bit), a standard used by the US government.
- zips and sends files directly from Windows Explorer with one click
- keep pace thanks to automatic WinZip updating process
- displays miniatures in WinZip application window
- chooses the best compression method for each type file
- enhanced compression for audio file
- ability to unzip RAR, LHA, LZH and BZ2
- ability to create archives with LHA and LZH extension
- checks automatically new versions accessibility
- quick compression and decompression