If you use the Google Maps location sharing system to keep tabs on family members and/or friends. This article will show you how to create custom shortcuts for individual people so that you can quickly and easily see where they currently are in real-time. A new feature in Google Maps.
Google Maps is a fantastic tool for navigating the world and finding information on just about anything. Restaurants, beaches, public transport, social events, etc. Another cool feature in Google Maps is the ability to share your location with friends, family, or anyone else you need to. This allows them to see where you are in real-time and find you if something happens.
Another newly added feature of Google Maps that not a lot of people are aware of is the ability to create custom shortcuts for individual people. This lets you quickly and easily jump straight to that person’s current location. It’s a super useful tool if you are keeping tabs on your kids or other family members that may be away on holiday or in transit.
How do you create a shortcut for someone’s location in Google Maps? Creating shortcuts for family member locations in Google Maps.
In order to create location sharing shortcuts for individual people in Google Maps make sure you have updated the Google Maps app on your device. Once you have done that, do the following.
- Open Google Maps, then tap your Profile picture in the top right-hand corner and select Location sharing from the list of options that appear.
- This will open up a new screen where you will be able to see all the people who are currently sharing their location with you.
- Next, select a person that you want to create a custom location shortcut for. Then tap the three-dot icon on the information card and select Add to Home Screen.
- A new popup will appear with the shortcut that you need to tap and hold to drag it onto the home screen. Alternatively, you can tap Add automatically.
- That’s all there is to it. Now simply tap that shortcut and Google Maps will open and take you straight to that person's location in Google Maps. The shortcut icon contains the user's current profile picture as well which makes identifying between each of the icons easy.
What happens if someone disables location sharing?
If someone disables location sharing in Google Maps when you have custom shortcuts created, those shortcuts will stop working until that person enables the feature again. You won’t have to recreate the shortcuts each and every time someone enables or disables location sharing. Sadly the icons don’t show if someone is actively sharing their location or not so you will have to open them to find out.
Want to get your house or something else blurred on Google Maps?
If you’re looking for some other interesting Google Maps guides make sure you check out our detailed guide on requesting certain things be blurred on Google maps. An easy way to get your house or something else censored in Google Maps Street View.