If you are using the Windows Mail app on Windows 10 or 11 and are having some problems with emails you delete constantly reappearing. This article will show you several different troubleshooting steps you can take to solve the problem and get emails you delete to stay deleted.
The Mail app on Windows 10 and 11 is probably the most useful and highly used app on the entire operating system. It’s easy to use and set up and doesn’t have any annoying bloatware. It’s also accepting of all other email services including Gmail, Yahoo, and all other non-Microsoft accounts. It’s also pretty stable.
While the Mail app is super stable and highly reliable there are some issues that you may still come across. One of the most common problems is mail not staying deleted after you have deleted it. Essentially you delete something then reopen the Windows Mail app the mail you just deleted is back. The good news is that there are a few different options that are available which will allow you to solve this problem relatively easily, so follow along as we guide you through the process.
How do you fix emails in the Windows Mail app not staying deleted? Windows Mail app not deleting mail properly Solution.
More often than not, the quickest and easiest way to solve this problem is to Repair or Reset the Mail and Calendar app (they are linked) If you haven’t done this before follow the steps below.
- Resetting the Microsoft Store will revert the Microsoft Store back to a clean installation and remove any problems. This will wipe everything so be aware of that. You’ll need to re-add your accounts, etc.
- Repairing the Microsoft Store will attempt to fix whatever problems there might be within the Store. But your data won’t be affected.
I recommend using the Repair option first, then checking to see if the problem has been solved. If you still get the same error message, use the Reset option. To run either of these tools do the following:
- Press the Windows Key + I to open Settings.
- Next, go to Apps > Apps & Features, then scroll down until you get to the Microsoft Store entry.
- Now click the three dots to the right and select Advanced Options.
- Finally, scroll down and click Repair. Wait for the process to finish.
- If Repair doesn’t work repeat the steps and choose Reset.
Run the SFC and DISM commands to fix any potentially corrupted system files.
If neither of these options has worked, move on to the next suggestion.
- First type CMD into the Start menu then right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- When you have Command Prompt open type the following command into Command Prompt and press Enter.
This scan may take a fair bit of time to complete so be patient. If it fails you should try running it again in Safe Mode. Restart your computer in Safe Mode then repeat the steps and wait.
If the SFC tool returned an error message, open Command Prompt as Administrator, then enter the following commands in order to run the DISM tool.
After a system Restart, everything should be back in working order.
Clear Microsoft Store Cache to fix Mail app not deleting mail properly.
The final solution is to clear the Microsoft Store cache. Just open the Start menu and search wsreset.exe. When it appears open it. It will run through a short process and clear the cache. After it has finished, Restart your computer and you should be able to add the new account to the Mail app without any problems.