If you have a laptop or a desktop PC you’ve almost certainly got a microphone of some kind installed or connected to your device. If that’s the case, and it probably is, follow along as this guide shows you how to disable the Microphone on Windows 11, blocking all other apps from having automatic access to it.
By default Windows 11 allows apps and other software to access and use your device's Microphone. While all laptops have built-in Microphones and cameras, desktop PCs may not. However, this option still remains open to you, so if you have recently connected a webcam to your desktop PC you may wish to make some changes to the Microphone settings on your device.
While the Microphone will be the focus of this guide the same applies to your device’s camera and location settings, so you may also wish to make changes to those as well. Thankfully, making the change is quick and easy and can also be customised for each individual app so you can allow access to some while blocking access to others or just disabling everything all at once the choice is entirely your own.
How do you Disable your Microphone in Settings on Windows 11? (Disable the Microphone from Settings)
The quickest and easiest way to disable your Microphone on Windows 11 is to use the Settings app.
- First press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app, then click Privacy & Security.
- On this page scroll down and click Microphone.
- At the top of this page disable the Microphone access toggle and the microphone will no longer be usable on your device.
- If you want to enable it again, return to the same location and turn the toggle back on.
Alternatively, you can read the steps below to customise which apps and software have access to your Microphone.
What if you only want to disable the Microphone in certain apps on Windows 11?
- If you want to customise the apps and other software that have access to your Microphone on Windows 11 open Settings then go to Privacy & Security > Microphone.
- Now simply adjust the toggles for the apps you want to have access to and the ones you don’t want to have access to.
Again if you want to enable something again just come back to the same location and make some changes.
Disable the Microphone from Device Manager if you want a more permanent solution.
If you want to use a more permanent solution, you can also make this change from Device Manager. To do this, follow the steps shown below.
- First right-click the start menu and select Device Manager from the list.
- Next, find and expand the Audio inputs and outputs section, then right-click on your Microphone and select Disable device.