PC Cleaning Applications? No thanks!
- Publication date
- Ilość komentarzy
How many times have you come across ads that offer you another free cleaning applications? I bet you didn't even count it. For your information: your PC does not need these!
There are free built-in PC cleaning tools that are provided by your Windows OS and they can accomplish everything that these much advertised programs can.
But these applications have to do something, right? Well, yes...sort of. After downloading one of such scam programs – don't try this at home! - you are bound to see that the program will find an enormous number of issues in your system. So go to the producer's website and pay a few dozen dollars for a full version... STOP!
First of all, how is it possible that there can be so many issues with your computer? I mean, you have an antivirus suite and defrag it from time to time, so where have you gone wrong?
It turns out that such programs multiply your issues since they treat every browser cookie and history entry as a single issue, along with all the temporary files (these are files that appear on your hard drive just for a moment and they are removed after the restart). Apart from such issues, there are more serious problems such as invalid registry entries (which don't really slow down your PC, to be honest) and fragmented files (which can be fixed by launching the Windows Disk Defragmenter, not giving 30 or 40 quid for nothing).
What should you do to really clean your PC?
- Use the Disk Cleanup tool that is delivered with your Windows. Along with freeing up some space on your hard drive, it will remove old temp files and other scums. You can actually schedule it to clean your computer automatically from time to time: type in „task scheduler” in your Start Menu's search box, hit Enter, and click on „Create a Basic Task”. Follow the tutorial.
- Don't store all this browsing history – remove it periodically or just set your browser not to keep it. If you use Chrome, it will store your history on Google's servers and won't take up your PC's memory.
- You may want to run the Disk Defragmenter, though if you have a solid-state drive (SSD) you don't need it.
- If you think you need a program for registry cleaning to make you sleep better at night, then download CCleaner – this free program is the best registry cleaner on the market.
And what about giving a boost?
If you feel that your PC got a bit slow...
- Get rid of any software that you don't use anymore, with strong emphasis on the programs that start with your PC, and browser plugins and toolbars (check how to get rid of unwanted toolbars).
If you have errors on a regular basis...
- Run an anti-virus to check for malware.
- Type those error messages into Google serarch to find fixes.
My PC is still too slow...
- Reinstall Windows (or, in Windows 8's case, use the feature: Refresh your PC).
- Look out for hardware problems. Maybe some components have given up the ghost inside and need replacement.