If you are looking for a good alternative to Skype and Google Talk, the latest version of Viber definitely deserves to give it at least a try.
Viber 3.0 is a free alternative to all known ways of communication - phone calls, e-mails, MMS, SMS, and so on. Of course, the only condition for using this type of software is constant access to the Internet or a large package of mobile Internet data. If you use a smartphone or tablet and have a wireless WiFi home network with access to the Internet, Viber can be an ideal alternative not only for VoIP services, but also for traditional paid phone service providers.
The Viber features a clear, modern and easy to use interface. In the short run, only the Apple device owners could enjoy the benefits of this software, but shortly after its release in 2010, the developers extended their existing mobile service beyond the mobile-only to desktops and laptops. When it comes to mobile devices, the program is compatible with Android, BlackBerry OS, iOS, Symbian, Bada and Windows Phone.
Please note that we must have first configured and registered the app using our mobile phones, in order to log into the desktop version. Let's start with installing Viber 3.0 for Android device ( you can use the same walkthrough to install and configure Viber on other devices since the process is more or less the same ).
Installation and configuration for Windows.
1. The installation process completes in a short period of time, as Viber 3.0 is only 1.17 MB. Once a welcome wizard opens, the installation goes smoothly and quickly. At the end, a pop up dialog asks if you have the Viber on your mobile device. Click Yes to continue.
2. Then it asks you to select your country and enter your mobile phone number. When it is done, click Continue.
3. The next step asks you for entering an activation code, which by the time is sent to the user’s phone. Once you inserted the four-digit code click Continue.
4. After a while, the program’s window opens. On the left hand side there are four tabs: News & Talk, Contacts, Recent Activity and Dialing. At the bottom, we have an option which hides more goodies under the hood.
5. There are several options that let us customize tray notifications, set audio and video options, and the Basics. Save the changes by clicking on OK.
Get the most out of Viber
Using Viber is very simple as it is limited to entering a phone number with which you want to talk or have a text conversation. This software extends to the syncing of messages between mobile and desktop apps, so we can communicate in many configurations. It supports phone to computer talks, computer to phone talks as well as desktop-to-desktop video conferencing too.