If you are an Android phone user or an iOS user with Google Maps installed on your device, you’ll be able to view your entire travel and location history. From towns and cities you’ve visited, all the way down to restaurants, bars, zoo, public icons, anything. Google doesn’t forget your history unless you request it manually.
Good Maps comes preinstalled on every Android device and usually sets itself up when you sign into or create a new Google account. It’s a very powerful and exceptionally useful tool, though does bring up a lot of privacy concerns from time to time. I’m sure most people have used Google Maps at some stage and marvelled at how handy it was. I’ve been using it for a long while and always admire previous generations ability to navigate.
Regardless of how you feel about Google Maps Timeline feature, you have to consider how handy it can be when you’re thinking back to a particular point in time that you visited a specific location, a restaurant, beach, city, etc. If you’ve forgotten the exact name or location, you can simply check your Google Maps Timeline to view your location history. Admittedly, you’ll need to narrow down some of the information a little more to find your exact moment, but the rest of the process is really easy.
- Open Google Maps.
- Tap Saved.
- Tap Timeline.
- Change to the Places tab.
- Tap the Food & Drinks entry.
- View your history.
- Repeat for any other category.
How to view restaurants you’ve visited using Google Maps? (or anything else you want)
- To begin, you’ll need to open Google Maps on your device, then in the bottom central toolbar tap the Saved icon.
- This will take you to a new page where you will need to tap Timeline. It’s usually in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
- Next, change from the Day tab to the Places tab. This will take you to a screen where you can view every location you have visited while you have had your phone with you (and location services active). It will show shopping, food & drink, hotels, attractions, culture, sports, airports.
- For this example, we are going to select Food & Drink, which will allow you to view your history. However, you can pick any of the other options if you want to have a look. More than likely you’ll be shocked to see how detailed your history is.
- If you would like to view more information about the restaurant (or whatever you visited) simply tap the entry and you’ll be able to see all the usual Google Maps info, including directions, the menu, reviews and photos.
- If you want to view the exact trip details you took to get to the location the last time you visited, you can tap the three dots to the right of the entry, then select View last visit. This will take you straight to the information.
What if you want to delete your Google Timeline History or at least stop Google Remembering?
If you’re startled by the sheer amount of data that Google has collected about your travel history and your general habits you may wish to delete your entire Google Maps Timeline history.
- To do this, you’ll need to head on over to the https://myaccount.google.com/yourdata/maps Google accounts page, sign in to your account, then click the See and delete activity icon under the Location history section. You can also pause/stop and future data collection by following the steps here.